Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CZPT requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Differences between Elastomer and Metallic Jaw Coupling Designs
Jaw couplings are available in two primary designs: elastomer jaw couplings and metallic jaw couplings. Each design has its own set of characteristics and advantages:
- Elastomer Jaw Couplings: Elastomer jaw couplings, also known as flexible jaw couplings, feature an elastomeric spider element that sits between the two hubs. This spider element is typically made of materials like polyurethane, rubber, or other flexible polymers. The elastomeric material provides the coupling with flexibility, allowing it to compensate for shaft misalignment, angular, parallel, and axial, as well as dampen vibrations and shocks. Elastomer jaw couplings are popular for their ability to protect connected equipment from mechanical stresses and enhance overall system performance. They are commonly used in applications where some misalignment is expected or in systems with shock loads and vibrations. Additionally, elastomer jaw couplings are known for their relatively lower cost compared to metallic designs.
- Metallic Jaw Couplings: Metallic jaw couplings, also known as rigid jaw couplings, are constructed entirely from metal, usually steel or aluminum. Unlike elastomer couplings, metallic jaw couplings do not have an elastomeric spider element and offer a more rigid connection between the two hubs. As a result, they are less forgiving of misalignment and do not provide the same level of vibration dampening as elastomer couplings. However, metallic jaw couplings offer higher torque capacity and are better suited for applications where precise shaft alignment is critical. They are commonly used in systems that require high torque transmission and minimal torsional flexibility. Additionally, metallic jaw couplings are well-suited for environments with high temperatures or exposure to chemicals, as they can withstand harsher conditions compared to elastomer designs.
The choice between elastomer and metallic jaw couplings depends on the specific requirements of the application. If flexibility, misalignment compensation, and vibration dampening are crucial, elastomer jaw couplings are preferred. On the other hand, when high torque transmission, precise alignment, and durability in challenging environments are needed, metallic jaw couplings are the better option.
Can jaw couplings be used in pumps, compressors, and fans?
Yes, jaw couplings can be used in pumps, compressors, and fans, and they are commonly employed in these types of rotating equipment. Jaw couplings offer several advantages that make them well-suited for these applications:
- Misalignment Compensation: Pumps, compressors, and fans often experience misalignment between the motor and driven equipment due to various factors such as installation errors, thermal expansion, or shaft deflection. Jaw couplings can handle both angular and parallel misalignment, ensuring smooth power transmission and reducing the risk of premature wear on the equipment’s bearings.
- Vibration Damping: Pumps, compressors, and fans can generate significant vibrations during operation. The elastomer spider in the jaw coupling acts as a damping element, absorbing and dissipating vibrations. This feature helps to reduce noise, extend the life of the equipment, and enhance overall system reliability.
- Torsional Flexibility: Jaw couplings provide torsional flexibility, which is beneficial in applications where the motor and driven equipment experience varying loads or torque spikes. The elastomer spider allows for slight torsional deflection, protecting the equipment from sudden shock loads and torque fluctuations.
- Compact and Lightweight: Pumps, compressors, and fans often have space constraints, and jaw couplings are compact and lightweight compared to some other coupling types. Their reduced inertia makes them suitable for applications with frequent start-stop cycles and high-speed operation.
Jaw couplings are available in various sizes and materials, allowing for customization based on the specific requirements of the pump, compressor, or fan application. The proper selection of a jaw coupling ensures optimal performance and efficiency in these rotating equipment systems.
However, it is essential to consider the specific operating conditions and torque requirements of each application when choosing a jaw coupling. For certain heavy-duty or high-precision applications, alternative coupling types such as gear couplings or disc couplings might be more suitable. It is always advisable to consult coupling manufacturers or engineering experts to select the most appropriate coupling for a given application.
Materials Used in Manufacturing Jaw Couplings
Jaw couplings are commonly made from various materials, each offering different properties and suitability for specific applications. Some of the commonly used materials include:
- Polyurethane (PU): PU jaw couplings are known for their flexibility, high elasticity, and resistance to abrasion. They are ideal for applications requiring vibration dampening and shock absorption.
- Aluminum: Aluminum jaw couplings are lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and have good thermal conductivity. They are commonly used in low-to-medium torque applications.
- Steel: Steel jaw couplings offer high strength and durability, making them suitable for heavy-duty applications with high torque requirements.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel jaw couplings are resistant to corrosion and are often used in applications where there is exposure to moisture, chemicals, or harsh environments.
- Bronze: Bronze jaw couplings are known for their excellent wear resistance and low coefficient of friction, making them suitable for applications with high-speed and low lubrication.
- Acetal: Acetal jaw couplings provide good chemical resistance and low moisture absorption, making them suitable for applications where chemical exposure is a concern.
- Nylon: Nylon jaw couplings offer good strength, flexibility, and resistance to wear and chemicals, making them suitable for various industrial applications.
The choice of material depends on factors such as torque requirements, environmental conditions, operating speeds, and budget considerations. Engineers and designers select the appropriate material to ensure that the jaw coupling can perform optimally and withstand the demands of the application.
editor by CX 2023-08-02